About the programme
Now in its tenth year, the Ampersand junior talent programme is recognised as best-in-class in our industry. Working in a fast-paced environment, you’ll make an impact quickly, while learning from the guys and girls who joined Ampersand as graduates on the same programme, many years ago!
The Ampersand junior talent programme is hands-on. You’ll work closely with experienced, senior developers to solve real client issues; learning the ins and outs of PHP, SQL and Magento and how to deliver consistent, creative solutions to some of the ecommerce industry’s most challenging technical problems.
And because we are moving to remote-first working (read more about that here) this year, we have introduced a structured mentoring scheme to ensure that our new starters get plenty of face-to-face time with senior members of the development team.
The programme starts in September 2021 with structured training wrapping up in January 2022. From there you will be able to put your training into practice on real client work. Most of our graduates go on to complete the programme with a promotion to Developer on a back end track.
You should apply if…
The right candidate does not come from a set equation. While a degree in computer science is what we typically look for, we have also hired graduates from maths, physics and engineering degrees. Above all, we are looking for developers who are passionate about technology, beautiful code and making stuff work.
- Object-oriented programming and design skills (i.e. Java).
- A high attention to detail and excellent problem-solving ability.
- Demonstrable programming ability.
- Experience with PHP and SQL
- Experience with an MVC framework (ideally Zend)
- Exposure to a Linux/Unix environment
- Exposure to test-driven development
- Magento and/or Ecommerce experience
- Experience with complex, scalable web applications
The good stuff
Our office is based in Blackfriars House, a few minutes’ walk from Deansgate and right in the heart of the hustle and bustle of Manchester City Centre. Our large, open plan premises boasts a dining room, games area with a pool table and several creative break out areas to get those ideas flowing!
- 32 days holiday (inclusive of public holidays).
- Extra days holiday for every year you work with us.
- Hybrid flexible working.
- Employee discount scheme with Perkbox.
- Bike to work scheme.
- £150 contribution for eye tests and glasses/contact lenses.
- Regular appraisals and personal development plans.
- Relaxed dress code.
- Unlimited Nespresso coffee.
- Paid social events.
- Sponsorship for tier 2 work visas.