What is Magento? Magento is a feature-rich, open-source ecommerce solution that offers retailers complete flexibility and control over the look, content and functionality of their websites. Magento’s intuitive administration interface contains the marketing, merchandising and content management tools retailers need, without putting constraints on business processes and flow.
When Magento was released in 2007, it transformed the ecommerce platform market. In a period of 18 months, Magento surpassed one million downloads and is now used by a staggering 26% of the Alexa top one-million websites. Purchased by eBay in early 2011, it continues to be the fastest growing ecommerce platform in the world.
Magento is written in PHP and utilises the Zend Framework (which is MVC based) and uses an EAV-based MySQL database. The system is highly modular and Magento’s architecture handles module database schema updates automatically.
Magento comes in three versions for different business sizes and models: Magento Go (SaaS), Magento Community (Free, Open-source) and Magento Enterprise (for large retailers).
At Ampersand Commerce, we choose to work exclusively with Magento Enterprise because we are committed to building robust software for multichannel, cross-platform commerce. Magento Enterprise is the complete commerce solution for businesses that are ready to take full advantage of multichannel retailing. Magento Enterprise combines an unrivaled feature set at a fraction of the price charged by competitive platforms and provides the scalability, security and flexibility that retailers need.
Why We Use Magento
- Complete control over integrations, allowing us to build bespoke solutions for our customers
- Open source
- Internationalisation made simple
- Low risk to innovate, try new things, stay ahead of the trends
- High ROI for our customers
Magento Enterprise Features:
- Turn browsers into buyers with marketing and merchandising tools, up-sell and cross-sell, and special pricing programmes and promotions.
- Personalise the customer experience with superior search capabilities, special storefronts for specific customer groups, and preference and behavior-based content delivery.
- Build Magento to fit your business with easy integration with 3rd party applications, flexible product/catalog management, and comprehensive admin capabilities including multi-site management.
- Flexibility to create rich, differentiated consumer experiences from the desktop to mobile, and to tailor back-end workflows to your business
Are you a retailer considering Magento Enterprise and looking for a solution partner? Say hello, or checkout some of our customer success stories. Also, check out our About You page to make sure we are a good fit.
Are you a developer curious about Magento Enterprise development? Check out our own Joseph McDermott’s ‘Developer’s Guide to Magento’ on Smashing Magazine.
Magento Enterprise Features in-depth:
Who are Ampersand Commerce? We are an open source ecommerce agency who have extensive experience designing, delivering and supporting complex multichannel solutions for retailers.
Are you a retailer considering Magento Enterprise? Contact us for a conversation.